09 August, 2026

Farewell, Désirée


There are some roles you play, and there are some roles that play you back.
 
Désirée Armfeldt, I have discovered, belongs firmly in the second category. The woman who met me exactly as I was becoming ready to inhabit my own life more fully...
 
And now, apparently, I am supposed to say goodbye to her.
For now. (For now, universe. I am making eye contact with you...)
But the glorious lesson of The Theatre is the lesson of ephemeral beauty, the ever-fleeting impermanence of It All, and in that truth lies a divine gift: that to love anything means we will lose it. And that the axiom "this too shall pass" is just as true of joyful moments as it is of adverse ones. May we relish the good times while they are here, for soon they will ebb once more. 
 
Such is life. 
 
So for now, the kimono goes back. The wig goes back. The glorious Lady-Gaga's-PLEAT-GUY-pleated-this-handmade-Fortuni-gown gowns go back. The makeup comes off. The dressing room empties. And once again I am confronted by the specific, beautiful, brutality of theatre: that we build an entire world together, furnish it with our bodies, our hearts, our neuroses, our snacks, and an alarming quantity of pins, and then one night we simply stop.
Poof.
Gone.
 
Cheers.
 
Which feels particularly strange because the last five months have been among the most expansive of my life.
There was Brigadoon—a piece I had spent years loving, interrogating, rewriting, fighting for, and finally watching become real in front of actual human beings. 
There was Chicago. 
There was Désirée. 
There was turning forty-three.
There were new friendships.
And old friendships returning in surprising new shapes.
There was writing.
There was acting.
There was (fraught but ultimately satisfying) singing.
There were meetings with exciting people. 
There were rooms full of artists imagining impossible things! And then, through some combination of craft, caffeine, delusion, and a text thread or three, making them possible.
 
And somewhere inside all of that, something in me began to soften. From my mindset to my nervous system to perhaps even to my literal fascia? I'm softer. Or life doesn't feel so hard. Or some semblance of both.  

______

Ah, softening

For most of the first half of my life, I believed strength meant bracing:
Prepare for the blow.
Anticipate the loss.
Read the room.
Make yourself useful.
Make yourself excellent.
Make yourself indispensable.
Make yourself whatever shape might prevent catastrophe.
And then life, with its usual lack of subtlety, eventually taught me that no amount of bracing can stop life from being life.
People leave.
Bodies change.
Careers zigzag.
Health fails.
Plans explode.
Love arrives anyway.
New identities present themselves with or without your consent.  
 
So perhaps this "middle-aged growing up journey" I'm on, is not at all about learning how to brace more effectively.
It is, I suspect, discovering that I no longer have to. (Isn't THAT rich?)
 
That is one of the gifts Désirée gave me. 
She is, after all, a woman who has spent much of her life moving.
City to city.
Stage to stage.
Affair to affair.
Performance to performance.
Always admired.
Always desired.
Always slightly elsewhere.
 
And then, suddenly, she wants something different.
Not applause.
Not admiration.
Not another dazzling entrance.

Home.

And I know that I understand that differently now than I would have ten years ago.

Home, I now realize, is not really a place at all. 

Home may be allowing yourself to be loved without immediately wondering how you can repay it.
Home may be trusting that the people who love you are not secretly conducting quarterly performance reviews.
Home may be waking up inside a body that has survived extraordinary things and finally regarding it not as a problem to solve, but as the astonishing vehicle that carried you here.
 
I have spent a great deal of my life trying to "earn" safety. I am beginning, tentatively, to believe I might simply... have some?
 
And of course, this has changed the way I think about my work, too.
For years I felt an invisible pressure to choose. To "brand." To "pick a market." Woe betide the mid 2000s and all their "so many years of muddle." 
Are you an actor? A singer?
Or are you an educator?  
Or wait: are you a writer?
Are you truly serious about performing?
Or serious about making your own work?
 
Pick a lane, Silber, the world is waiting. (Preferably before everyone notices you are driving several vehicles at once...)
 

But lately I have started wondering:

Why? WTF? Who made that rule?
 
I have always been suspicious of false binaries, and yet somehow I had constructed an enormous one inside my own career.
Actor OR writer.
Interpreter OR maker.
But what if the answer is simply:
Yes.
I am a woman standing backstage in a corset five minutes before places thinking about sentence structure. 
I am ALL.
"Applause for the clowns. They're finally here..." 
And perhaps my life is spacious enough to hold all of it.
 
Perhaps that is true for you, too. I don't know you, dear reader, but I suspect that we all contain multitudes.  
 
So aside from being overwhelming in its feeling of "midlife tardiness," this realization feels enormous not because it means I must now do everything at once (which is exactly the sort of conclusion my nervous system used to draw automatically, but, frankly we are no longer letting her run the meeting...) it means I don't have to amputate pieces of myself in order to appear coherent. My coherence may be entirely about embracing the combination. The All. The All of AL! 
 
And while I may moan and weep about how long it took me to heal and get a grip and make these discoveries, one of the strange gifts of midlife is realizing how much time has passed us by while simultaneously discovering how much life might still be waiting. Ahead. Still. 
There is grief in that. Of course. 
But there is also tremendous freedom.
I am no longer "waiting to become the person who gets to relax and just live my life."
 
She is already here. 

 ______

So farewell for now, Désirée.
 
Thank you for finding me at exactly this moment.
Thank you for asking harder questions than I expected.
Thank you for reminding me that growing older is not the diminishment I once feared, but perhaps an invitation to become more.
 
More honest.
More ridiculous.
More true.  
More absolutely alive.
 
There is still so much I want.
 
And for the first time in a long time, wanting does not feel like evidence of lack.
It feels like evidence that I am here.
 
Still becoming.
 
Still beginning.

Still.

©Joe Mazza / Brave Lux (of course) 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment