- She reads. In fact, she eats books. Like me.
- We met on a 'friend-date.' Which is amazing. What the hell is a 'friend-date' exactly? Well, to quote the Urban Dictionary:
In our case? A mutual friend "set us up," we exchanged contact info, texted, made a date and met for coffee... then stayed for lunch... then dinner... then yeah, seven hours later were best friends. How about that...
- She’s wildly smart (I remember once we bonded over the MENSA test questions...#dorks)—and therefore incredibly challenging. In fact, I can safely say she is the only other "scary smart" person I've ever met other than my father.
- She is that best friend that you would literally do anything, say anything, go anywhere, for. "Hi, so my creepy ex is following me home on the 67 bus and can you meet me at Seven Sisters in 20 minutes?" --YEP. "Yeah see I'm trapped in Croatia and need to you come get me..." --SURE CAN.
- Her Yorkshire accent is a lot of things, but mostly it is super cute.
- So okay. This might sound creepy but she has this SKIN. It's like the kind of skin you sort of can't believe is REAL exactly... alabaster, wrinkle-free, and seemingly poreless. And sometimes (when I used to see her in person more than I currently do on FaceTime) I would stare at her and wonder: has she ever seen the sunshine? Or, how do her pores manage to breathe...?
- Emma is a bonafide "cat lady" too... (I call upon her when Tatiana is being superCRAY...)
- This Yorkshire lassie has some absolutely world-class legs people. (Let. Me. Tell. You.)
- Geographic distance has made us more emotionally close than any other person I have ever loved and been apart from.
- She originated the role of Jenny Cavilleri in Love Story, and when I got the American premiere, she was almost more excited to hand over her creation to her best friend. And we lived through the entire experience together... [see right]
- She is understanding.
- ...and she possesses the perfect balance of self-awareness, honesty, humility and pride in herself to be one of the most self-possessed and loving people I know.
- When the going gets tough, Emma gets on the phone.
- Earlier this year, when Emma was going through a lot of personal trials and big big changes, we developed a way to communicate every day without being bogged down by the heaviness of her circumstances. How, you ask? Well. I requested (okay, demanded) she write me one haiku about her life every.single.day until the aching stopped. ...And she did it. And that's how we handled that. It was fun, funny, touching, tragic, poignant, and painfully moving; and made me feel closer to her than ever. I am proud of her true strength, her ferocious courage and above all, her willingness grow, accept the ebbs and flows, and to face life head on.
- Jeremiah will (literally) drive through the night to make sure anyone he loves is still breathing and okay.
- He will do his cruise ship choreography of "Living La Vida Loca" for you during intermission the day after you split up with your boyfriend merely to make you smile for 10 freaking seconds
- ...or, he will spontaneously take you camping in the Poconos simply because you are having a crappy week. Then he will skinny-dip at 1 am in the Delaware with you. Which is not remotely romantic. Because it is pitch black and too cold. It is just funny and epic and COMPLETELY AWESOME.
- Jeremiah played Billy Bigelow to my Julie Jordan in the West End revival of Carousel. Picture it: [endless opening Carnival scene tech for the 'Carousel']
AL: Heeeeey... so the giant kiss in the 'Bench Scene' is terrible.
AL: Sooo we have to fix it.
JJ: Great. [pause] Um, HOW?
AL: [Pause] Well... [pulls him into the swath of curtains] ...I mean, we have to, eh, practice.
JJ: WHOA. I'm sorry WHAT?
AL: Just... Jesus. Just f***ing SNOG ME.
AL: Yes! Here! WHAT? DO YOU WANT ME TO BUY YOU DINNER? GET IN THERE!!
[awkward snogging. // Enter VICTORIA]
V: Hey guys--!
AL & JJ: --WE ARE WORKING!
- Look: in my day-to-day life, I am not a laugh-out-louder. I am that horrible person who will listen to an amusing comment and quietly go "Oh hey, that's funny..." He is the only human I know who can make me laugh out loud pretty much CONSTANTLY.
- I mean... he is a super fox. Dzuh. Major hair. Giant arms and pecs both with their own postal code. Epic skin. Teeth you can see from SPACE... Look: it's dumb. But charmingly, he has absolutely no idea...
- ...and he is mostly just a super dork.
- He is the loyalest human I have ever met.
- He is ferociously principled.
- And talented.
- And deep.
- And reassuringly tall.
- And basically? This man loves his dogs. His country. His scotch. And Superman.
|the perfect picture.|
More friends I admire: