09 August, 2009

To Russia, with love...

Looming over the rest of Europe with its immense, inhuman size and dark, brutal history, Russia is an essential and fascinating place, the opposite of modern Europe and still an unknown quantity to most. Indeed, it is one of the last truly adventurous and unpredictable destinations on the continent.

And so... I venture East... for The Motherland calls me.

This is an adventure I have been planning for a very long time, and it will bring the ever-present mystery project even closer to its fruition.

I shall be accompanied by Kit, master of cultural, adventuresome fun, as well as the spirits of my ancestors, and a few delightful and generous Russian families willing to house a crazy American with a very Russian name (Александра).

So I shall be away for a while. But I promise to share all with you upon my return.

In the meantime I have scheduled some "out of office" publications to keep you satiated while I survey the Hermitage, explore the Central Committee building, view the houses of four Russian greats (before lunch!), feast my eyes on the Kremlin (and the Winter Palace, the Moscow Art Theatre, the Bolshoi...), bask in the glories of Lake Baikal "The Pearl of Siberia," and explore the blissful Siberian wilderness on the magical island of Olkhon.

Not to mention an overnight train or two, and an airline whose logo is a hammer and sickle with wings... all whilst sipping Moscow mules in deliciously soulful style... by which I mean a soul of the Russian variety...naturally...

...And perhaps I shall see Hodel...wouldn't that be something...?



;o)

13 comments:

  1. IN SOVIET RUSSIA, INTERNET SURF YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing adventure! Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun and see many amazing thins Sister Alex. And be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a journey! Looking forward to your stories as only you can tell them. Hugs to Hodel... i know you will find her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your life is so exciting!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have an amazing time in Российская Федерация!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss you already! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. IN SOVIET RUSSIA, INTERNET SURF YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. have a fabulous time gorgeous girl!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. First they wanna chuck you out, then they wanna hang onto you...Let my people go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Speed on home dear Alex!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thinking of you during your adventures. Hope you're well. Loff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH MY GOD YOU WERE IN RUSSIA....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails