30 November, 2021

Happy Anniversary Healthy Body!

 This is the last photograph of my un-scarred body. The last photo of a sick woman. The final photo of Alexandra Silber with colitis. 


"Hey Colon? *BYE GIRL!* You were a huge jerk!"


One year ago today I took a huge leap, took power back over my health and my life, and after seven years of being an autoimmune warrior with severe ulcerative colitis, I (with the support of so many) made the choice to have my entire large intestine removed. It was the first of 3 major surgeries (the 2 to follow would turn my insides into a proverbial pretzel and me with an internal J-pouch, and leave me with nothing on the outside of my body but a scar).

One of my core values is courage--not as the "absence of fear," but experiencing the *presence* of fear, walking alongside your fear, and acting anyway.

When I took this photo at 5am, I was about to leave my home and head to the hospital. Ohhhh I was afraid. But I got in the car... and checked in... and put on the horrible surgery outfit... and got on the table... and counted backward as anesthesia put me out...anyway. 



 To be afraid and do it anyway. That's courage. I was brave that day. Thank you, Dr. F, Dr. K, and everyone at Mount Sinai and Cigna. Thank you, Mom and Alec, and the entire inner circle.

One last thing: even though a major organ is now missing, I am not "less." In fact, I am more myself than ever. I am still whole.

Happy Anniversary, Al's healthy body.

 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails