05 June, 2010

Small Pleasures: A List, Part 2

26.   "What About Bob?" ... ahoy.
27.    Truly helping someone in need
28.    Old fashioned photo booths
29.    Really great advice
30.    Kiiiiiiiissing… mmmmm….
31.    A great hair day with no effort. (Al + Jew frizz + Humid = a rather rare number 31...)
32.  Reunions
33.    Hot, rainy afternoons. Thunder and lighting preferable. (Dad and I used to sit on the porch and watch the rain, smell the "clean" and just be totally at peace and mesmerized by the curtains of rain coming down on our street in Michigan. Sometimes we would venture out into the rain and get soaked and Mom would let this happen for a few minutes before reminding us about being struck by lighting and all that...)
34.    The funny things kids say
35.    The novel you get lost in, and re-read over and over again throughout your life.
36.    Finding the perfect piece of clothing...on sale…boowakacha
37.    Wash-and-fold clean laundry. IT IS MAGIC. MAGICAL I TELL YOU...
38.    Fireflies
39.    Spending a whole day at an incredible museum
40.    The cold side of the pillow
41.    Having exact change. Exact flipping change! It is like a miracle, it is a little celebration of perfection. Of exactness. It fills me with glee.
42.  A spoonful of peanut butter and or Nutella straight from the jar (and possibly frozen…)
43.    Saturday morning breakfast/brunch cooking: pancakes, fruit, bagels, Dad-made bubbelech, and good company of course. I have certain brunch companions in my life that are exceptional at the weekend brunch gathering. Example: Jane Noseworthy (a blinding Carrie Pipperidge and former Miss Nebraska doncha-know) + all things brunch = nnnnnnDelicious.
44.    Singing along to the radio and knowing all the words. Especially in the car driving along the highway.
45.    Jumping in puddles. Big ones. Fat ones.
46.    A long, leisurely catch up with an old and loving friend. Laughing, reviewing, learning, sharing, reflecting… I am starting to get to an age where I have known people for over 10 years and it is truly remarkable the kind of connections I still have with people I have loved, and who have loved me, for so long. People that remember my Dad, people that were “there for that,” who have been there in my heart if not before my eyes. (I’ve recently had a great many upon my return to New York that have filled my heart up profoundly).
47.   The smell of garlic cooking
48.    Eating with chopsticks (Chinese food optional)

5 comments:

  1. We have a number 33 here today !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how #s 32, 33, 42, 43, 46, & 47 could all be achieved simultaneously. Certainly cuts down on your workload... Well, if you EVER find yourself in ElLay again, perhaps we can work on this concurrence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your writing makes my list of small pleasures. Thank you. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the villager hello and welcome! I just finished perusing your blog and really enjoyed myself. Lovely words. Had the pleasure of a proper Yorkshire tour one weekend whilst working up at The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield which I can safely say was one of the happiest times of my life this far. You certainly live in a beautiful part of the world, but I found it truly was the people that made it so extraordinary. How on earth did you stumble upon this site?! Regardless, I am glad you stopped by and I hope you return again soon. As I hope one day to return to Yorkshire.

    x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails