14 February, 2008

Coming to the end...

"...Soon I'll be a stranger in a strange new place
searching for an old familliar face
from Anatevka..."


So much to feel. Saturday is the final performance of Fiddler on the Roof, and the little village that has been my home since October 2006 will disappear in to the ether, to exist only in memory. Ah, the ephemeral nature of the theatre is naturally what makes it so beautiful, and makes the days like these so bittersweet and reflective.

The real loss of course, is the people one has grown to love and hate and understand, as if they really were part of a community. My wonderful sisters Frances and Natasha have, completely unexpectedly, grown to become some of the most beautiful friendships in my life. We have laughed and laughed, been through both the dark days and the triumphant. I have spent every day, sharing a room with them, and I will miss it profoundly.

And Hodel of course...
Oh Hodel, how I love you. How much you have given, rewarded and fulfilled me. Thank you. I will keep you always right by my heart as I have never kept another character. Your strength and sense of purpose, your complex feminine spirit, your wit and determination, your devotion and loving heart. You have given me a chance to find all of these things within myself, and to grow with them. I will miss you most of all...


"God alone knows when we shall see each other again..."
"Then we will leave it in his hands..."

3 comments:

  1. Very touching. Yes, I can see how you would start to become a family with so much time and diversity together. You'll keep in touch. And imagine the memories you'll share in coming years!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails